Tuesday 8 March 2011

'Out of date' or 'vintage'?

Just a quick story to share this morning. (I'm using the ipad and it hasn't quite got the capabilities of my laptop....either that or I don't really know how to use it!)

Anyway, back to the story...

The other day I went to the Woolloongabba Antiques Centre for a wander. I have just discovered the blog The old boat house who have a shop at the centre and it prompted me to visit. Interesting blog too...

I hadn't been that way for a while and spent a pleasant couple of hours browsing. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but you know the story, you can't come away from those kind of places empty handed and so these  little glasses found a new home. They should really be filled with Babycham, but for the time being I think they make very pretty tea light holders.


But that's not the story...

I decided that I needed a coffee break and made my way to the lovely little vintage style coffee shop in the centre. I found a spot to sit amongst the coach trip of elderly ladies,- (my goodness they could chatter!) After a while, I thought it would be nice just to read and enjoy my drink, so I turned to ask the (bored looking) bus driver if he wouldn't mind passing me a magazine that was in a pile next to his table.

With a dead pan face he mumbled, "They're out of date"
"That's okay", I replied "I don't mind"
"No" he said, "they're REALLY out of date"


on ebay until March 13th

The Australian Women's Weekly was 1981! Of course it was 'out of date'- we were in a vintage coffee shop in the antiques centre! Unfortunately for the bus driver I had the giggles....and I had to pretend that the articles about Charles and Di were extra funny to cover up the fact that his comment had really tickled me!

By the way, the magazine was fascinating. The advertisements were so interesting - many for clothes that brought back way too many memories! Lots of adverts for cigarettes as well...

So, one man's 'out of date' is another man's 'vintage'...
 x

6 Comments and thoughts:

  1. Hi!Lucky me...finding you via y friend Maureen! So, I follow you from Rome and, you know, I'm one of those who adore vintage stuff!!!!
    Laura@RicevereconStile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    I just made a link to you, have a good day!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely finds! The glasses are gorgeous! Have a wonderful day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calling by from Italy via Daydream Living's feature to have a browse around your blog. Those glasses really interested me as I have seen that engraving somewhere else recently now where was it? you have gained a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just popping in to visit all the way from Ireland via Maureen in Switzerland, isn't it a small world? According to Homes and Antiques magazine those champagne glasses are way more chic than the modern tall ones, so there you go! Love the Welsh cakes for St. David's day. Have a happy day, Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these glasses. What a fun find.

    Were you in Wales for the royal wedding? What did you do? (party, watch on TV) XOL

    ReplyDelete